Monday, August 21, 2006

Headline News: Iwo Jima Flag-Raising Photographer Dies

The world famous photographer of the flag-raising at Iwo Jima passed away today. Amazingly, just about anyone you meet will recognize the photo shot by Rosenthal that February 23rd. Yet he is quoted saying,

"Out of the corner of my eye, I had seen the men start the flag up. I swung my camera and shot the scene. That is how the picture was taken, and when you
take a picture like that, you don't come away saying you got a great shot. You don't know."


"Millions of Americans saw this picture five or six days before I did, and when I first heard about it, I had no idea what picture was meant." - Joe Rosenthal *


It is interesting to note how Rosenthal who has been acclaimed as 'the best photographer', and winner of the Pulitzer Prize began his career.

He took up photography as a hobby. As the Depression got under way, Rosenthal moved to San Francisco, living with a brother until he found a job with the Newspaper Enterprise Association in 1930.


"They just told me to take this big box and point the end with the glass toward the subject and press the shutter and `We'll tell you what you did wrong,'" he said. -Joe Rosenthal*


Click here to read full article.

* Article by JUSTIN M. NORTON, Associated Press Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would you like to read interviews from Marvelous Photo-bloggers??