Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Picturesque Portraits Part 4

Lighting

Add light to your portraits to cut
down on harsh shadows and to
make catchlights in your
subjects eyes.
You can use a reflector and/or
a fill flash.
(Just watch out for red-eye witht the fill flash!)


Flash


A bounce flash makes softer
natural shadows, causes
fewer reflections,
and eliminates red-eye.
It also lights up the room,
and you can add a bounce
card or a lightsphere
to direct the flash.

Balance your subject with the
background. There are two
kinds of flash options
manual and TTL.
When using your flash under-expose
to compensate for the flash of the flash :)

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Allison, I think it's great that you are posting all these guidelines and helpful tips. It'll help you to remember them better [like they said - teach somebody and you'll learn more!] but also - well, I haven't looked at my notes much in months, and it's helping to refresh my memory. I really appreciate it! That means I should probably go through my notes again to help me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO true, Ruth Ann! It is too easy to forget what you've learned if you don't look at your notes from time to time :)
    Posting mini lessons has really helped me remember the classes and made me think about how I can relate what I've learned in short, easy-to-understand language!

    Allison

    ReplyDelete

Would you like to read interviews from Marvelous Photo-bloggers??